Chorister's Hall, one of the centrepieces of the new Medieval Museum in Waterford, was construted in 1281 by Stephen Fulbourne, Bishop of Waterford. It is a masonry structure comprising a single barrel vaulted chamber with a central arcade of six arches springing from five Dundary stone columns within the space and two pilasters on the north and south walls.
From the outset of the design of the new Medieval Museum, Chorister's Hall was perceived as the principal artefact. Visitors to the Museum end their visit here and it has been conserved with minimum invervention only as necessary to allow safe access.
No contemporary heating, insulation or drainage measures were introduced and only loose and friable material was brushed off the columns and the vault.
The only significant intervention to the fabric of the Undercroft was the lowering of the threshold of the opening in the east wall to allow for universal access from the new museum building.